Atlas of Geographical Curiosities
Welcome to this compendium of interesting, unexpected and downright bizarre geographical anomalies that are guaranteed to delight and inspire. The world is full of little-known facts that have sometimes been a source of diplomatic or military struggle. Many still exist under the radar now to be revealed by this entertaining treasure trove.
Where else can you discover:
- Countries that do not really exist
- the world's only town that lies entirely underground
- a UK hotel room which became Yugoslavian for one day only
- an island which is Spanish for six months of the year and French for the other six
- a city which is officially constituted by one single skyscraper
- the world's first and only railway that belonged to one country and ran across another
- a hotel room whose bedroom is in France and whose bathroom is in Switzerland
- Bir Tawil which is one of the very few territories on earth not claimed by any country
- the only place in the world where you can find so-called counter-enclaves
- where in a 20-minute walk around the village you can cross an international border over 50 times at 50 different points
The world is full of wonderful and strange geographical irregularities. Turn to the Atlas of geographical curiosities to uncover more little known but important facts.
About the author
Vitali Vitaliev is a UK-based multi-award-winning author, columnist, editor and broadcaster. Starting his career in the former USSR, where he became known as the country’s first investigative journalist, he was forced to defect in January 1990. Having worked and lived in Australia, England, Scotland and Ireland, and having travelled in over 70 countries, Vitali is the author of 15 books translated into five languages. He has worked as a journalist for some of the major English-language newspapers, and is now a Royal Literary Fund Fellow as well as a Writing Fellow and Teaching Associate at the University of Cambridge. Vitali lives with his partner Christine and Tashi, a furry Tibetan Terrier, in a small English town not far from London.
Order before 4pm weekdays for:
- Free standard delivery on orders over £10 in up to five working days
- 1st Class delivery in 1-2 working days
- Priority Express Next Day delivery on the next working day
Custom Made map orders will take one extra day for printing. Framed and canvas products are handmade and usually take 10-12 working days to dispatch. If you order on a bank holiday we'll start on your order on the next working day.
An estimated delivery date will be shown in checkout once you enter your address and pick a delivery option.
Sorry, we do not currently deliver outside of the UK.
See Full Delivery information here.